Friday, January 4, 2008

Category Feeds

Typically I try not to do blogs about blogging but I went through quite a bit of work to get my category feeds going and nobody seems to be using them. Most things that I want to write about end up here. That is to say it is far from a specialized blog. I put in some personal stories, I write about some little tech hacks I found or trends in the open source world. I write about stupid riddles and how fascinating they are to me because of what happens when you look at them in certain ways. There is no way any other one person could find even most of this interesting. I get that. Enter categories and category feeds.

Now in that all of my content could not be interesting to any one person, my blog is not special. Most blogs I find have certain domains that I find useful and the rest is written for somebody who is not me. Rather than subscribing to the blog as a whole, I subscribe to the category feed. This is especially important for high volume blog. If you publish daily or more I consider you a high volume blog. Normally I have to do some digging to find the feed I want. Typically, Blogger included, you merely have to click on the category link and type /feed at the end of the url.

But some blogs, namely Wordpress, I still don't know how to get a category feed. And that keeps me from subscribing to a few blogs that I really want to, because I don't want all the other crap I have to take to get the stuff I want.

So if you want to help me out and maybe your readers too, here is how you can get links to your category feeds.

You may want to run your category feeds through feed burner. Here's how to do that.

Then you can put links to your category feeds as explained here.

If everybody did this the world would be a lot more linkable. That and if Blogger automatically attached an anchor name to every <p> tag. That way you could link to any paragraph, like the way you can link to any part of a video on Googlevideo.

No comments:

Post a Comment