Thursday, October 18, 2007

Google, Mail Bucket, et al.

My Email Management System uses the following services and a few more. This is how I have these services work together.

Google Customized Home Page
MailBucket.org
Gmail
Google Reader
Google Reader Widget

Many of my feeds start as emails in my inbox that I find don't need a response. There were a lot of them. I had several hundered unread email in my inbox when I started doing this.

Identify a group of emails that are not spam but you don't want in your inbox. Use gmail's filter to forward the email to something@mailbucket.org. I typically archive the email and give it some label so that it remains searchable in gmail, but you can simply delete it if you wish.

All email that get sent to something@mailbucket.org are now part of a (public) feed at mailbucket.org/something.xml. I now import this feed into google's feed reader. Most of these feeds go to my info label in the reader.

Please note the MailBucket Feeds are updated every hour and will not appear in the feed right away. A list of the last ten emails are available at mailbucket.org/simple/something

On my google/ig home page (and it really is a page that feels like home) I add the google reader widget and set the label to info.

Now to trace this back:

The email is sent
It arrives at my gmail account
It gets forwarded to a mailbucket account
It gets converted to an RSS feed
The feed is picked up my google reader
The reader files the item under info
The info label is read by my google/ig widget


Among my feeds are

TED
HelloCoolWorld

No comments:

Post a Comment