Tuesday, February 20, 2007

The Tony Robbins Curve

I was reintroduced to Tony Robbins recently. I caught his presentation on TED and found some of the ideas interesting, and even useful. I did some more poking around on him and found his site. Not being one to pass up a freebie I put my specs in for the free coaching session.

A few days later I got a phone call from Steve Becker. He's one of Tony Robbins' life coaches. Firstly, I was a little taken aback since I wasn't expecting anything at all to happen; well, maybe a few extra emails a month. I wasn't expecting a phone call. But Steve seemed like he was mostly with it and explained the process to me.

The theory seems sound. Under pressure people are capable of some pretty great things. I know I can surprise myself under the right conditions. So one thing the life coach does is keep some pressure on you. Another way of looking at it is that everybody likes to have a good answer to whatever question might be asked. What I do is tell Steve the questions to ask, and knowing that he is going to ask them I am going to work to have a good answer for them.

After our last conversation he left me with the homework of figuring 3 falsifiable goals. I chose to make them about my social life, Academy of Learning and the Reserves. Steve is going to call again tomorrow to discuss them with me. I'll tell you how it goes.

----

Even with the bit of information and contact I have had with the organization and the ideas I have started to think about a few things differently. I have been considering how as we gain resources the marginal effectiveness seems to drop steadily.

Consider our income. The first few dollars we all probably spend pretty productively on things like food, shelter, clothing and such. After that things start to get less economical. We start eating out more; we buy cigarettes and alcohol; we order cable and start paying 18% on our credit cards. Things seem to go down hill very quickly. When you put it on a graph, income v. marginal effect, I am coming to call this the Tony Robbins Curve.

This curve seems to matter. It is changing the way I look at a lot of things. Apply it to the graduated tax system... and the different strata on the food chain. I'm going to have fun with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment