Wednesday, April 12, 2006

That's outrageous

I read the story on the CBC site titled: 16 months for drunk driving. First thing that I thought was 'That's outrageous'. That sounds pretty damn high. But I kept reading to find he plead guilty to impaired driving causing death. Then I thought 'That's outrageous'. That sounds pretty damn low. Then I kept reading to find that the victims had been passengers in his car. I.E. they chose to ride with a drunk man and not wear seat belts. Then I thought 16 months was a high, not outrageous, but high. Then I thought he is only going to serve about a third of that, I think. So that sounds about right, I guess. Then I thought 'I've never been to jail, I have no idea what kind of a punishment 5 months would be in jail.' My best guess is that it is probably not much different from being really poor. Either way you would have people telling you what to do all the time.

Links: 16 months for drunk driving
Categories:

4 comments:

  1. Hey,
    I randomly stumbled across your blog . .. I think I remember you from a random drunk night last summer . . .
    artificialreality@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. whether or not the people got in the car doesn't mean he should have riven drunk. 16 months is not nearly enough time IMO.. it's time we start dishing out some really heavy sentences for DUIs, especially when people are killed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I actually got a decenting opinion on my blog. Thx Dita. Obviously I disagree with you, but that is a minor point.


    Anonymous, do I get anything more to go on?

    ReplyDelete
  4. well I disagree, and felt I should say it.. you're welcome.

    ReplyDelete